12.6.11

Noticing Things...

Tonight I did a soundwalk in Melbourne's CBD. Of course it's something that I could've done on my own without silent guide Anthony Magen and 30 odd people. But walking around in complete silence with a pack of regular-looking adults on a Saturday night certainly was an interesting experience in itself; somewhat like performance art, we baffled quite a number of people who noticed us.

But what I noticed and loved was that hour of dedicated attention to just observing the city. It's so rare that one takes the opportunity to do so.

I noticed the patterns of light reflecting off the water on to the underside of Princes Bridge. I was mesmerised by the repetitive sound and circling colored lights of the ferris wheel. I noticed the distinct contrast in the sound of our collective footsteps on different surfaces. I heard the changing perspective of an announcement as we passed a series of speakers in Flinders Street Station.

I thought about things. I noticed the time and space for thoughts to form into ideas.

My kind of Saturday night.